10.01.2008

Corneal Ulcer

The last week or so, we've been battling a cat with a corneal ulcer. I didn't even know there was such a thing. On my birthday, I noticed that Gus' left eye appeared as if he had a cataract. Of course, he's not quite 10 months old, so that didn't seem right to me. We let it go another day and Chad called one of his friends who is a veterinarian for guidance. She suggested we go to the vet to let them test his eye.

Between that conversation and the vet visit, Chad decided that the cat had cancer. This assumption was based on a news story we saw a few weeks ago about a little girl whose eye appeared cloudy in a photo. Luckily, this was not the case with our cat.

I've taken Gus to the vet twice since then, and we're due to go again on Saturday. He is on four different medications and his eye appears clear. I'm hopeful that he will get a good report on Saturday!

One thing that is strange about Gus is that he loves going to the vet. I hear tales of other people struggling to get their animal into a carrier and off to the vet. Gus loads himself and proceeds to show off the entire time he is there. He is sweet and purrs and is as gentle as can be. This is not the case when I am trying to give him medications at home. I guess I have a social little cat.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Oh, poor Gus...and poor you for having to give him all that medication. I'm glad he's doing better!