2.13.2009

Happy Heart Day

In general, I dislike Valentine's Day. I suppose it all stems from the anticipation I had for my first school Valentine's party in Kindergarten, the same party I missed because I had to stay home sick. Although I have had a few good ones, in general, I have bad Valentine's Day experiences.

The highlight of my Valentine's Day experiences has always been a bright red box of Russell Stovers chocolate candies from my Dad. And, one of my favorite Valentine's days is the one I spent an evening in Tulsa for dinner with a bunch of other single women. We had so much fun laughing and telling stories and enjoying our "single" status together.

On a day-to-day basis Chad is excellent at letting me know that he loves and appreciates me. He is very thoughtful, and I really appreciate that. Our first Valentine's together, he spent the day in Austin, Minnesota, doing research. The second year, he made reservations at a "fancy" restaurant in Columbia. When we arrived, despite his best intentions, we discovered their oh-so-special menu of seafood, seafood and more seafood items. Yuck! I honestly cannot recall what we did last year, but I think he purchased Cardinal's spring training tickets for us. The day of the game, it was pouring outside and we opted not to attend. This year, we're avoiding the special menus and pitfalls at all cost and are eating at a nice steak house tonight instead of Feb. 14. I'll take my chances with Friday the 13th! I think my odds are better than Feb. 14.

No comments: